Home > Blog > Elastic 8.0 Simplicity, Speed, Scale and Relevance
Saturday 1st October, 2022
Elastic 8.0 Simplicity, Speed, Scale and Relevance
Bird Eye View - Elasticsearch
Its been a long time Elastic released a major version update. Last majorrelease was 7.0 in April 2019. The long wait of 1023 days has resulted inmaking the platform release its major version 8.0 on Feb. 10, 2022.Themessage is clear, Elasticsearch is focusing on Relevance and focus is toenable easy onboarding with cloud.
What you see and What you get!
Elasticsearch embraces vector search capabilities, native support for modernnatural language processing models, increasingly simplified data onboarding,and a streamlined security experience.
Technical Summary of the Relase
Here are the most anticipated and useful improvements for any existingelasticsearch user. Though this release covers more on bug fixes andenhancements below are the critical ones.
➔ Removes MovingAverage pipeline aggregation
➔ Avoids auto following leader system indices in CCR
➔ Set xpack.security.enabled to true for all licenses including basiclicense.
➔ Auto-configure TLS for new nodes of new clusters (saves lot of time!!)➔ Support IAM roles for Kubernetes service accounts
➔ ML models use OS specific models
➔ Enable LZ4 compression at transport layer by default
➔ Reindex restart from checkpoint
➔ Allow listing older repositories
Path to the world of NLP
- Have native integration and support for modern NLP models. It is mucheasier now to integrate these models directly into Elasticsearch andperform the NLP tasks more efficiently without having to moving out thedata.
- This reduces lots of efforts which ideally used to go to coding. Added tothe beauty of distributed computing power of Elasticsearch , NLP itselfis significantly faster.
Powered with ANN search
- Approximate Nearest Neighbor (ANN) search helps to comparevector-based queries with a vector-based document corpus with speedand at scale.Again with the distributed setup ANN search gets morepower and performant than ever. It is out of the box (OOTB) inElasticsearch.
Easier Elastic Cloud Integration on AWS Marketplace
It is lot more easier to use Elasticsearch on AWS Marketplace than everbefore, thanks to the cloud initiatives by Elastic.
- WIth the introduction of the new AWS Lambda Application , users cannow ingest logs from Amazon S3 into their Elastic Cloud deploymentswith just a few clicks from within the AWS console.
- With Elastic’s Amazon S3 Storage Lens integration, users can easilyship Storage Lens metrics into their Elastic Cloud deployment, using thepowerful search and analysis capabilities of Elasticsearch and powerfuldashboarding capabilities of Kibana to optimize Amazon S3
Streamlined stack security
Elasticsearch v8.0 Release Reviews
- With in-product assistance like auto-generated tokens and certificates,Elastic have streamlined and simplified this process to save time andeffort so that security is accessible by all.
- Also security is now enabled by default for self-managed clusters ,where in earlier this was time consuming activity with efforts fromexperts.
Whats in it for me !
➔ Wide range of enhancements SQL,Search, Security and Infra components. ➔ There seems to be serious effort that has gone into improving and making REST API compatible with older version. Throughout we see good
enhancements and also few breaking changes. Looks like a effort to make elasticsearch more backward compatible with versions 7.17
➔ With more and more bug fixes, Machine Learning Jobs is now more accurate and bug fixes on aggregations makes it more powerful.
➔ As any tool upgrades,especially when we call a Major Release we tend to expect more on new features, butw however focus is on bug fixes and changes in security models.
Cleary there are efforts from the data search platform to cover powerful use cases like loganalysis, content search , observability and SIEM. There is dedicated effort involved in orderto draw the lines between Opensearch and Elasticsearch. Its always an interesting game towatch when 2 giants bring in the pool of talents to improve the search engine. At the end ofthe day customers are the winners!
As a decades old support and service providing company, we can only differentiate on price and support, and we care deeply about maintaining good support and solving our customers’ problems quickly. Contact-Us today!
Monday 28th November, 2022
Elastic Search 8.5: Minimize Time to Observability and Streamline Security Workflows